Skip to main content
Trinity Freistadt Historical Society · Est. 1965

Our Community

Freistadt is more than a historic site — it's a living community. The church, the school, the community center, and the heritage groups around them all carry the story of Wisconsin's first German settlement forward.

The Freistadt neighborhood

The historic Freistadt neighborhood fills the northwest corner of Mequon, bounded by Highland, Mequon, Wasaukee, and Wauwatosa Roads. Most of its landmarks cluster at the old crossroads on Freistadt Road — outlined below, with a close-up map after it.

Highland RdMequon RdWasaukee RdWauwatosa RdW Freistadt RdN Granville RdN Granville RdN Swan RdN Farmdale RdLittle Menomonee RiverLindenwoodCommunityCenterFreistadt
The historic crossroads ↓

The historic crossroads, up close

Nearly everything sits within a quarter mile of the corner of Freistadt and Granville Roads — the settlement's original crossroads. Open the corner in Google Maps

W Freistadt RdN Granville RdN Church PlFreistadtAutomotiveBuffaloSynodCemeteryBoehlkeHardwareTheLandmarkTrinity Church& SchoolKorner-Q'sHistorical Site
The log cabin at the historical site at sunset in autumn, framed by bare trees and a split-rail fence

Trinity-Freistadt Historical Site

Our own historic village, on the grounds of Trinity Lutheran Church of Freistadt. Its twelve historic buildings are open for tours from April through October — including a log cabin on the site of the first Lutheran church in the state of Wisconsin.

The stone front of the 1884 Trinity church, its steeple and cross rising between framing trees, arched stained-glass windows flanking the entrance

Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church & School of Freistadt

The church was founded by the first Pomeranians in Wisconsin — "Old Lutherans" who fled Pomerania seeking religious freedom in 1839. The congregation still holds several services each week, and its child care center and school serve children from infancy through eighth grade.

The Lindenwood School Community Center sign, with the emblems of the Alte Kameraden, Pommerscher Verein Freistadt, Pommersche Tanzdeel Freistadt, and Lindenwood 4-H Club

Lindenwood Community Center

Less than one mile from the historical site, the Lindenwood Community Center has been run by volunteers of the non-profit Freistadt Heritage Foundation since 1989. It isn't part of the historical society, but it is home to four organizations with kindred purposes — a 4-H club, a Pomeranian heritage society, a German brass band, and a Pomeranian folk dance troupe.

Pioneer headstones ringed by daylilies inside the Buffalo Synod cemetery's wrought-iron fence, under a canopy of old trees

Trinity Lutheran Cemetery — Buffalo Synod

A small pioneer burial ground on the north side of Freistadt Road, across from Trinity's school. The Lutheran Buffalo Synod was organized at Trinity in June 1845, and this cemetery preserves that early chapter of the congregation's story — Trinity itself has belonged to the Missouri Synod since 1848. It is one of three Trinity cemeteries around the crossroads, alongside the old churchyard and the south cemetery on Granville Road.

The 1929 brick Boehlke Hardware storefront — a model horse and farm mural in the display windows, red double doors up the front steps, and the plumbing-pumps-electrical sign at the corner

Boehlke Hardware

A fixture of Freistadt Road since 1927, when Erich Boehlke opened a hardware business — first in a corner of the family's garage — to serve the local farming community. In 1929 the store moved into the brick storefront it still occupies, a building the Wisconsin Historical Society has inventoried as a notable example of early twentieth-century commercial architecture. In its general-store years it sold everything from cookware to Christmas gifts; today the third and fourth generations of the Boehlke family keep the old-time hardware experience alive, with an especially deep plumbing counter.

The Landmark restaurant — a two-story white clapboard building with green shutters and an American flag over the porch

The Landmark

A cozy neighborhood restaurant in a classic two-story clapboard building at 10634 W. Freistadt Road, right at the historic crossroads. The Landmark is known for comfort food — beer-battered haddock with potato pancakes among the favorites — and a vintage, community-centered atmosphere with a loyal following.

Korner-Q's blue two-story corner building at the crossroads, a colorful Wisconsin farm mural on the stone wall out front

Korner-Q's Eatery Bar & Grill

Holding down the corner across the road at 10631 W. Freistadt Road, Korner-Q's serves barbecue and grill fare with tavern hospitality — the owners set out to recapture the welcoming, everybody-knows-your-name feel of a classic neighborhood bar and grill.

The brick Freistadt Automotive garage on Freistadt Road, its two white service doors closed and a car parked out front

Freistadt Automotive

The neighborhood's independent repair shop occupies the site of the former Boehlke Garage, opened in 1925 selling Case tractors — and later Chevrolets — as Freistadt's farms traded their horses for machines. (Boehlke Hardware itself began in a corner of this garage in 1927.) As Freistadt Automotive since 2002, it services foreign and domestic cars and light trucks — tires, brakes, alignments, and honest repairs.

Freistadt in the news

Reporters and historians keep discovering our neighborhood. A few stories about Freistadt and its people:

Curious how these places came to be neighbors? The story starts with forty families in 1839 — read Our History.